This post contains important information about forthcoming SLS Elections. Please direct all nominations and questions to the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) at Andrew.email@example.com. Please do not reply directly to this email.
The Student’s Law Society (SLS) is running elections to fill the following positions for the 2015-2016 academic year:
- President – one (1) position
- Vice-President Social Affairs – one (1) position
- Vice-President Student Affairs and Governance – one (1) position
- 2L Rep – three (3) positions
- 3L Rep – three (3) positions
Student Affairs and Governance (StAG)
- 2L Rep – four (4) positions
- 3L Rep – four (4) positions
Below is the timeline for the elections:
- Wednesday, March 11: Candidate Blurbs due to CRO (firstname.lastname@example.org) 8:00PM – no exceptions
- Thursday, March 12: Candidate Blurbs E-mails sent to students – campaign period begins
- Monday, March 16: Executive speeches and debate – 12:30-2:00pm, VC101
- Tuesday, March 17-Thursday March 19: Voting takes place (12:30-2:00 PM EST, outside the Reading Room)
HOW TO APPLY FOR A POSITION
Candidates may nominate themselves by emailing a statement of no more than 150 words with the subject line “SLS By-Election Nomination”. Statements are due by Wednesday, March 11th at 8:00 PM EST. Statements received after this time will not be accepted. Candidates’ statements will be distributed in a listerv email.
Voting will take place outside the Reading Room in Birge Carnegie on March 17-19 from 12:30-2:00 PM. Students must show their student cards in order to vote.
The SLS enforces strict rules on campaigning, including: candidates may not (i) spend more than $10, (ii) put up more than 10 posters, (iii) campaign in the law library or reading room, (iv) engage in excessive email/social media use, or (v) campaign before September 9th. Please refer to SLS By-Law 500, which contains important information about campaigning.
Nominees must provide the CRO with a signed copy of the By-Laws acknowledging that they have read and agree to adhere to the By-Laws.
By-Laws can be found on the SLS website here. A printed and signed copy must be returned to Andrew Hotke’s (3L) mailbox in the Reading Room in Birge Carnegie.